There is an emergency procedures pamphlet in every classroom, usually located on the wall by the main door. Please review this pamphlet which has different emergency situations and tips to keep yourself safe while on or off campus. Also listed in the pamphlet are signs indicating the location of tornado shelters and AEDs. In case of an active shooter, if you are in a classroom, you will need to take guidance from your faculty. If this type of emergency situation arises and you are not in a classroom, be prepared to take action to keep yourself safe. Here at Sandburg we practice the run/hide/fight mentality. A short training video can be found at this web link: https://www.fbi.gov/video-repository/run-hide-fight-092120.mp4/view
Lost & Found
Found items can be turned in or lost items can be claimed in the Public Safety Office located in D201. Lost & found is located in the Main Office in Carthage. All unclaimed items are donated to charity at the end of each semester.
Carl Sandburg College has emergency phones inside and outside of campus buildings. Push the button and you will be connected with Sandburg Public Safety dispatch. When you hear the dispatcher speak, tell them your emergency and an officer will respond immediately. Although the vast majority of our students, faculty, staff and visitors do not experience crime at Carl Sandburg College, crime may sometimes occur despite our best prevention efforts. The best protection against campus crime is an aware, informed and alert campus community that reports crime and suspicious behavior in a timely manner while using reason and caution during their daily activities. sandburg.edu/Services/Public-Safety
As part of the overall effort to prevent crime, the College utilizes the following resources:
- A 24/7 campus security personnel presence. The College also has a strong working relationship with the Galesburg Police Department. Officers can be dispatched from city locations to campus within minutes.
- More than two dozen emergency call boxes, which serve as a direct, outdoor link to campus security from almost everywhere on campus (see map for locations).
- State-of-the-art security camera monitoring system consisting of cameras placed in various locations throughout all campuses that are monitored 24 hours a day.
Clery Crime Report
The Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act, Public Law 101-542, as amended by the Higher Education Technical Amendments of 1991, Public Law 10226, mandates that colleges provide specific information to students and prospective students. In compliance with this law, Carl Sandburg College presents the following yearly statistics for 2018, 2019 and 2020 sandburg.edu/CleryReport.
- Enforcement of College policies and regulations
- Investigative reports and criminal investigation
- Escorts for students, faculty and staff. Please call Public Safety at 309.341.5304 and we will escort you to your class or vehicle. Trust your instincts and call for assistance if you need it.
- Public Safety will help with car jumps
- Reporting and resolution of environmental safety issues, exterior lighting, signage and other physical hazards
- Monitoring and enforcement of parking regulations on Sandburg property
- Blue light emergency phones located throughout the Main Campus
- Safety and security presentations, including topics such as personal safety and alcohol and drug abuse
- Public Safety will call outside services to help with keys locked in vehicles