This program prepares students for entry-level positions in PC installation, maintenance, and repair professions. Common career titles include PC support technician, hardware specialist, help desk support specialist, hardware configuration technician, and many others. Students will examine PC software including operating systems, office applications, network management, and desktop utilities. Courses also introduce a variety of current hardware technology including CPU features and functions, system architecture, storage technology, backup devices, multimedia devices, and data communication equipment. This program prepares students for the CompTIA A+ and Network+ and MCTS certification exams.
Computer Technician Certificate Program Goals
- Work with the help desk and other technicians to respond to IT support needs.
- Setup and configure a network and devices.
- Apply technological solutions for business problems.
Admission to the Program: Open
- Complete an application for admission and, if desired, apply for financial aid.
- Send an official high school transcript or GED score report to the Admissions and Records Office.
- Complete the placement exam.
- Meet with an advisor/counselor to select classes and complete the registration process.
Information and Communication Technology Course Completion Requirement
For credit toward degree requirements, all ICT courses must have been completed during the five school years preceding conference of the degree or must have the approval of the Dean of Career and Technical Education Programs or Program Coordinator.
*NOTE: Computer Technician Certificate conferred upon successful completion of the required 29 hours contained in the first and second semesters of this program. Computer Support Certificate conferred after successful completion of the first 15 hours.
Department of Career & Technical Education
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd.
Galesburg, IL 61401
For Additional Information Contact:
The Welcome Center
For Graduation Requirements:
See the graduation policies and procedures page for details.