2022-2023 College Catalog 
    Jun 15, 2024  
2022-2023 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition & Financial Assistance

Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.


Tuition for District Residents

Students who reside in the Community College District 518 are charged at an in-district rate per semester hour for tuition. Click here for the current tuition rate.

Tuition for Out-of-District Residents

Students who are residents of Illinois but who live outside of Community College District 518 pay a higher tuition rate. Click here for the current tuition rate.

Tuition for Out-of-State Residents

All students who do not maintain a legal residence in the State of Illinois pay a higher tuition rate. Click here for the current tuition rate.

International Student Tuition

International Students who attend Carl Sandburg on an F-1 Visa are charged the International Student Tuition rate. International students may face restrictions on enrollment in certain course formats (online vs. in-person) and must follow current federal guidelines to maintain their F-1 Visa status. Students are required to pay tuition in full by the current tuition deadline.

Proof of Residence

Students who move from outside the state or district and who obtain residence in the state or district for reasons other than attending the community college shall be exempt from the 30-day requirement if they demonstrate through documentation a verifiable interest in establishing permanent residency. Students must be able to provide one or more of the following:

  1. Voter registration in District 518
  2. Evidence of tax, utility, or rent receipt, or a signed lease contract in District 518
  3. Driver’s license and/or vehicle registration showing an address in District 518
  4. Other documentation which can help certify residency in District 518

A student who resides with his or her parents or guardian in Community College District 518 is a resident student. An emancipated student who is completely self-supporting and who has resided in Community College District 518 for at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester at Carl Sandburg College shall be considered a resident of the District. Students who are enrolled in an approved cooperative program between Carl Sandburg College and another college may be eligible to receive in-district rates. Students who qualify under other ICCB regulations are eligible to receive in-district tuition rates. Students cannot qualify for in-district tuition rates while on a temporary visa.

Tuition Waivers for Senior Citizens

District 518 residents 65 years of age or older are permitted to participate in credit-bearing courses at no charge for tuition (no credit awarded), provided there are spaces in the classes and that tuition-paying students constitute the minimum number required for enrollment in those classes. Verification of age is required by presenting an Illinois driver’s license or other appropriate documentation at the time of enrollment. Payment is required for all fees, books and supplies.

C.A.R.E.E.R. Program (Formerly CHARGE BACKS)

Carl Sandburg College participates in the Comprehensive Agreement Regarding the Expansion of Educational Resources (C.A.R.E.E.R.), which is an agreement signed by all of the Community Colleges districts in Illinois (as of March 2017). Under the terms of the agreement, students may take advantage of career and technical education (CTE) programs at any other Illinois Community College if the program is not offered in their home district. The students benefit by paying the resident tuition and fee rates, despite living outside the Community College district.

Additional paperwork will need to be completed with the Student Services office. Please contact Lynn Schwab at 309-341.5225 or lschwab@sandburg.edu for more information.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Students may pay tuition and fees in cash, by check, or debit/credit card. The College accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express for tuition and fees payment. Credit card payment may also be used for phone and online registration. For a small fee, students enrolling in semester classes can defer a portion of their tuition and fee charges (see Deferment Policy below). Check with the Sandburg Business Office for current rates.

Deferment Policy

An interest-free monthly payment plan through Nelnet Business Solutions (formerly FACTS Management Co.) is available. This monthly payment plan enables you to spread tuition payments equally over several months without interest or finance charges. By paying monthly, you limit borrowing and keep the overall costs of education down. The monthly payment plan is available to all families regardless of financial need. There is a minimal enrollment fee to cover administrative costs. The registration for the monthly payment plan will be via the Internet and students must possess either a debit/credit card or maintain a checking or savings account from which to withdraw the payments. Nelnet accepts MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.

Refund Schedule

Tuition refunds will be issued to eligible students based upon effective date of withdrawals. The date that a written request for withdrawal is received by the Admissions and Records Office determines the effective date of withdrawal.

Full refund of tuition and fees will be made if the College cancels a course.

Refunds will be determined on the basis of the following schedule:

Length of Class Refund Period* % Refund
9-16 Weeks 1st 9 calendar days of term 100%
  Thereafter 0%
5-8 Weeks 1st 5 calendar days of term 100%
  Thereafter 0%
4 Weeks 1st 3 calendar days of term 100%
  Thereafter 0%
2-3 Weeks 1st 2 calendar days of term 100%
  Thereafter 0%
Less than 2 Weeks Prior to Day 1 100%
  Thereafter 0%

* Refund period refers to the number of calendar days beginning with the first day of the term.

Important Note for Financial Aid Recipients - Return of Title IV Policy

Federal financial aid (Title IV student aid) funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded.  When a student receiving Title IV student financial aid withdraws from all courses, the aid must be adjusted following rules established by the U.S. Department of Education. These calculations may result in the student owing an institutional balance. Students who do not complete at least 60% of a period of enrollment may be required to return federal student aid received. These rules apply to both students who formally withdraw from classes as well as students who receive a zero grade point average (GPA) (grades of “W” and “F”) for a semester and/or any period of enrollment less than a semester if enrolled in four- or eight-week courses.

The last date of attendance is determined to be the withdrawal date or the last recorded date of activity, as documented by the institution. If the student ceases attendance without providing official notification of withdrawal to the institution, the mid-point of the payment period or period of enrollment, or the last recorded day of activity will be the withdrawal date for the purpose of returning Title IV funds. A copy of this policy is available in the Financial Aid Office. If you have any questions about how this law may affect you, please contact the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from the College.

Obligations to the College

Students must meet all financial obligations to the College and return all materials owned by the College before they will be allowed to re-register and to receive grade reports, diplomas, certificates, and transcripts. If you should have any uncollected balances, we may use any and all means necessary to collect this debt in accordance with state and federal laws.

Financial Assistance

Carl Sandburg College participates in federal, state and institutional financial aid programs to assist students in meeting the costs of higher education. Financial aid is available in the form of grants, loans, scholarships and work-study.

IMPORTANT: FAFSA Application Process Begins October 1

How to Apply for Financial Aid

  1. Apply for admission to Carl Sandburg College. Online Application
  2. Create an FSA ID for the student and a separate FSA ID for the parent (if student is dependent). The FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and will serve as your signature. We encourage you to write down the information used to create your FSA ID. It will be used each year you file for financial aid. The following video is helpful in understanding the requirements to set up an FSA ID. Instructional Video - How to Create an FSA ID. Use this link to Create an FSA ID
  3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at www.fafsa.gov. Sandburg’s Federal School code is 007265.
  4. Monitor your Financial Aid at mySandburg/Self-Service Menu/MyFinancialAid/Financial Aid Self Service and check your Sandburg email weekly.
  5. Complete and submit any Required Documents on My Financial Aid.
  6. Once processing is complete, your awards will show on the Financial Aid Offer in Self-Service.
  7. After your Offer has been posted, you may apply for a Student or Parent Loan. To apply for a loan, complete the steps found under Apply for Federal Student Loan or Apply for a Federal Parent Loan.

Standards of Academic Progress

Students receiving financial aid are required to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards according to federal and state regulations. Academic records are reviewed for all students receiving financial aid and those being considered for financial aid from the following sources: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study Program, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP), Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan, and Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized). The student’s status is evaluated at the end of each semester.

Students will be considered to have an eligible SAP status if they:

  • Maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better
  • Satisfactorily complete 67% or more of credit hours attempted
  • Graduate within 150% of the credit hours required to complete the student’s program

A student who is below the GPA requirement of 2.0 or higher, or completion rate will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. If a student does not meet SAP requirements at the conclusion of the Financial Aid Warning semester, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Dismissal. A student on Financial Aid Dismissal is no longer eligible for financial aid.

A student who is on Dismissal can regain eligibility for financial aid by:

  1. Eliminating all academic deficiencies by completing the number of credit hours necessary, at the student’s own expense, to meet the 67% completion requirement and attain the minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. OR
  2. Appealing for reinstatement of financial aid. Students who appeal may be granted an Academic Improvement Plan where they can continue to receive financial aid to complete their program as long as they meet the terms of the plan.

Academic Improvement Plan

Students who appeal and who need more than one semester to complete their academic goals may be reinstated under an Academic Improvement Plan. This plan requires that students meet the following stipulations each semester until they attain good standing:

  • Successfully complete 75% or more of credit hours attempted each semester
  • Obtain a semester GPA of 2.2 or higher each semester

Students who fail to meet any of the above requirements while under the Academic Improvement Plan will be placed on Dismissal.

The complete SAP policy, including examples, is available on the College website or by visiting the Financial Aid Office.

Developmental Hours

Financial aid is limited to a total of 30 developmental credit hours. Developmental courses are those with a course number below 100.

Repeating Courses

Students may receive financial aid for repeating courses where they received a grade of ‘W’ or ‘F’. Financial Aid can be used one-time to repeat a previously passed course (grade of A, B, C, D, P). For satisfactory academic progress, each repetition will count toward the attempted hours; however, only the course(s) counted in the GPA calculation will be counted in completed hours for SAP.

Note: All information is subject to change based on changes to federal law, regulation, or College policy and procedure. If changes are made, students must abide by the new policy.

Student Financial Assistance Programs

(Unless otherwise specified, follow the steps under “How to Apply for Financial Aid” for the programs listed.)

For additional information about financial aid programs and eligibility, please visit our Financial Aid and Scholarship page.


Federal PELL Grant

Federal grants that offer from $657 - $6595 per year. Eligibility is based on financial need and enrollment.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

These federal grant funds are awarded by Carl Sandburg College based on need, income, and application date. Award amounts vary. Students must be Pell eligible to receive FSEOG funds.

State of IL Monetary Award Program (MAP)

This is an Illinois program that will pay a portion of tuition, based on financial need. Illinois residency is required and students must be enrolled in at least three credit hours. The maximum award is $4,192 per year.

Student Loans

Federal Direct Loan

The Federal Direct Loan Program is administered by the federal government. The loan may be offered as subsidized or unsubsidized or a combination of these for a maximum loan as a freshman of $3500 and sophomores of $4500 per year. THIS MONEY MUST BE REPAID. Carl Sandburg College loan recipients must complete loan counseling prior to the first loan disbursement. Student loans require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as the first step of the application process.

Carl Sandburg College evaluates all loans on a case-by-case basis. Federal regulations allow an institution to refuse to certify a student loan or certify a loan amount that is less than the student’s determination of need. Students will be notified in writing of the institution’s decision. Carl Sandburg College will not discriminate against any borrower or applicant in obtaining a loan on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, or disability status. Loan checks are distributed 30 days after each semester begins. Students who are on Financial Aid Warning, Probation, or Academic Improvement Plan may be denied student loans.

Subsidized Direct Loan

These loans are based on financial need; therefore, all students may not qualify. With a Subsidized Direct Loan, no interest accumulates and no repayment is required as long as the student is enrolled in college at least half-time. Students have six months after they drop below half-time before repayment is required and interest begins to accrue. To find out the current interest rate, please go to https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/interest-rates.

Unsubsidized Direct Loan

Students who do not qualify for maximum Subsidized Direct Loans may borrow up to the maximum amounts above less Subsidized Loans through the Unsubsidized Direct Loan program. To find out the current interest rate, please go to https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/interest-rates.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

A loan in which parents of dependent students may borrow to pay for educational expenses. Family income is not taken into consideration; therefore, the program is open to almost any family who qualifies based on credit. The family can borrow up to the cost of education, less other aid received. To find out the current interest rate, please go to https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/interest-rates

Other Programs

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

These federal funds are awarded to students interested in working to help meet their financial need. An FWS award allows the student to work on campus to earn money. An award does not guarantee a job will be available or that the student will earn the entire award.

Western Illinois Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA) Funding

Persons who are interested in training/retraining may consider applying for WIOA. For more information, contact your local WIOA Office:

Hancock County
550 N. Madison
Carthage, IL 62321
Knox County
311 East Main Street, Suite 612
Galesburg, IL 61401
McDonough County
440 North Lafayette, Suite 110
Macomb, IL 61455
Warren County
1025 S. 2nd
Monmouth, IL 61462

Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)

Financial assistance is available, as a grant, for students with a disability which is considered a substantial vocational handicap to employment. For additional information contact your local DORS office. The Galesburg office is located at 477 E. Main St., Suite A, Galesburg, IL 61401, or phone 309.343.2193.

College-Sponsored Programs

Carl Sandburg College Foundation Scholarships

Carl Sandburg College Foundation establishes and cultivates transformative relationships for support of Sandburg students, programs and capital needs. A volunteer board of directors governs the Foundation, providing policy direction for the non-profit, 501(c) (3) tax-exempt organization established to secure additional funds for the College. Contributions to the Foundation provide scholarships and financial support that enable Carl Sandburg College to offer more programs and enhance what is already an outstanding institution of higher education. Contributions are accepted from our generous giving community comprised of individuals, businesses, organizations and foundations. These combined resources enhance the College’s educational mission of providing all students with opportunities for success.

The Foundation provides academic, program-specific, veterans, financial need, and geographic-based scholarships. These scholarships support Sandburg students of all ages in occupational and transfer curricula. Scholarship awards are based on individual scholarship guidelines. Distribution of payment is determined solely by the Foundation’s Scholarship Review Committee and is not subject to change by outside departments.

For further information regarding scholarships, please contact the Foundation Office or the Financial Aid Office on The Main Campus. At The Branch Campus, contact the Coordinator of Branch Campus Support Services.

Visit the Foundation Scholarship website or go to your mySandburg account and select “Scholarship Application” to apply.

Other Forms of Assistance

Presidential Scholarships

Full-tuition scholarships will be available for students with an ACT score of 27 or higher or a SAT score of 1280 or higher AND a grade point average of at least 3.75. Recipients must maintain a cumulative college GPA of 3.5 each semester for renewal.

Half-tuition scholarships will be available for students with an ACT score of 25 or higher or a SAT score of 1200 or higher with at least a 3.5 GPA. Recipients must maintain a cumulative college GPA of 3.25 or higher each semester for renewal.

The award is tentatively based on a student’s sixth- and seventh-semester high school transcripts, and the final award will be contingent on the student meeting all requirements with his or her final high school transcript.

The full scholarship will be awarded to a maximum of 20 students on a first-come, first-served basis and will pay up to 64 credits over two years at Sandburg as long as the student maintains the required cumulative GPA. Applications are accepted the year you graduate from high school and limited to accredited high schools within the Sandburg district.

Talent Scholarships

Talent Scholarships are available for students with exceptional talent in the areas of creative writing, journalism, music, theatre, art, or athletics. Students may receive a scholarship waiving in-district tuition for up to 18 credit hours per semester. Recipients are selected by the Student Services office. Interested students should contact the Vice President of Student Services office for details.

Crisis Grants/Loans

Carl Sandburg College Foundation offers emergency financial assistance for Sandburg students in crisis experiencing a non-academic, non-recurring expense that jeopardizes the applicant’s ability to remain enrolled at Carl Sandburg College. A one-time crisis grant or loan could be approved if the student meets all the eligibility requirements, subject to available funding. (Students must document their financial crisis and submit a letter explaining specific circumstances.) For information, students should request a Crisis Grant/Loan application from the Foundation Office. If eligible, students will receive a response within 72 hours.

Veterans’ Assistance

State and Federal assistance is available at Carl Sandburg College for qualified veterans, military personnel and the children and spouses of veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. For information on eligibility, contact the Coordinator of Veterans and Military Personnel Student Services in the Financial Aid Office. Academic programs listed in the catalog as “Pending ICCB Approval” are not eligible for VA Certification until the approval is received from ICCB and approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Certification Information

  • Students receive VA educational benefits only for those courses that apply to their declared academic major.
  • Students receiving educational benefits from the VA must complete all of the semester hours for which they are certified. Students who do not complete their semester hours may be responsible for repaying the VA and/or the college all or partial funds received for that semester.

Student Call to Military Duty

Carl Sandburg College students who are called to active duty in the armed forces will, upon their request, be given a 100 percent refund of tuition and fees for the current term if they provide the Records and Registration Office with (1) a written request (letter or Schedule Change Form) to be withdrawn from classes at 100 percent refund and (2) a copy of their official orders for a call to active duty. If the call to active duty comes after mid-term, the student may (1) request to be withdrawn from classes at 100 percent refund, (2) try to complete courses in progress after consulting with the instructors, or (3) request incomplete grades (“I”) after consulting with the instructors.

Tuition for Eligible Veterans and Families

In-district tuition will be charged to eligible Post 9/11 Veterans, spouses, and/or children and Montgomery GI Bill®Recipients regardless of residency. Check with the Coordinator of Veterans and Military Personnel Student Services with any questions.

State Assistance

The State of Illinois provides tuition assistance to veterans through the Illinois Veteran Grant and to military personnel through the Illinois National Guard Scholarship. Eligible veterans and/or military personnel will receive credit for tuition and registration fees for approved courses at any Illinois state-controlled college, university or community college. To maintain eligibility for either of the grants listed above, students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average and meet any other eligibility requirements. Students who are eligible for either grant will not be eligible for the IL MAP Grant.

Illinois National Guard

Illinois National Guard grant pays tuition and certain fees for students who have completed one year of service and who are current members of the National Guard. The student must be an Illinois resident and have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher. Eligible students must re-apply for the Illinois National Guard grant each year. Eligibility is limited to eight semesters of full-time attendance. Apply online at http://www.isac.org/students/during-college/applying-for-financial-aid/applications/index.html.

Illinois Veterans Grants (IVG)

Illinois Veterans Grant pays tuition and certain fees for students who qualify. The student must:

  1. be a veteran, of the armed services
  2. have resided in Illinois six months before entering the armed services,
  3. have at least a year of active duty and receive an honorable discharge,
  4. return to Illinois within six months after discharge from the service,
  5. maintain a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.

The Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG) application is available online as an interactive application via the Student Portal. The online application has many benefits, including program information, which is available at your fingertips, online edits which prevent errors, elimination of mailing time, and immediate confirmation that your application has been received at ISAC. Apply online at http://www.isac.org/students/during-college/applying-for-financial-aid/applications/ivg_applying/index.html

MIA/POW Scholarship

If a student is the dependent of a person who was an Illinois resident at the time of entering active duty and who was declared to be a prisoner of war, missing in action, or dead as a result of a service-connected disability, or disabled with a 100 percent disability as the result of a service-connected cause as recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. Department of Defense, the student may be eligible to receive the MIA/POW Scholarship. This scholarship may be used at public colleges in Illinois, and is administered by the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA).

Learn more about the program and access the MIA/POW Scholarship application through this website. Questions about completing the application should be directed to the IDVA at 217.782.3564.

Federal Assistance

The Veteran’s Administration offers a variety of federal entitlement programs through the GI Bill® and other VA programs. Eligible veterans may receive a monthly check to cover school-related and other expenses while attending college in an approved program of study.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Forever GI Bill® - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2017

The President signed into law the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act also known as the “Forever GI Bill® ,” which will bring significant changes to Veterans education benefits. The law is named after the American Legion national commander who wrote the original GI Bill® language in 1944 and will allow more Veterans to use the GI Bill® and more time to use it. For more information, visit the US Department of Veteran Affairs - Forever GI Bill® at http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/ForeverGIBILL.asp.

The Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is a benefit providing educational assistance to individuals who have served on active duty after September 10, 2001. For specific information regarding eligibility requirements, the length for which assistance is available, and the amount of the entitlement allotment, please visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/. Click on ‘Education and Training’.

Elimination of 15-year Limitation to Use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® Program

The law removes the time limitation for the use of Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits for individuals whose last discharge or release from active duty is on or after January 1, 2013, children of deceased Service members who first become entitled to Post-9/11 GI Bill® program benefits on or after January 1, 2013, and all Fry spouses. All others remain subject to the current 15-year time limitation for using their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.

Monthly Housing Allowance

The law requires the monthly housing allowance (MHA) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program to be calculated based on the zip code of the campus where the student physically attends the majority of classes, rather than the location of the institution of higher learning where the student is enrolled. This applies to the first enrollment in an educational program on or after August 1, 2018. Carl Sandburg College in Galesburg zip code is 61401 and in Carthage is 62321

The Montgomery GI Bill®, Active Duty, Chapter 30

Veterans who possess an honorable discharge may be eligible to receive up to 36 months of educational benefits through this program. The monthly benefits a veteran may receive is based on the veteran’s military training, category, length of service, and any applicable “kickers” provided by the Department of Defense. Most eligible veterans are permitted 10 years from the point of discharge to use his/her benefits; however, exceptions may exist that could shorten or extend that period of entitlement. For specific information, visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/. Click on ‘Education and Training’.

The Montgomery GI Bill®, Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606

Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve program is for members who are actively participating in the selected reserve. The selected reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, the Army National Guard, and the Air National Guard. Eligible reservists may receive up to 36 months of educational benefits through this program. In certain cases involving mobilization, the period of eligibility may be extended. For specific information, visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/. Click on ‘Education and Training’.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)/Chapter 1607

REAP is an educational benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.

Change in REAP Eligibility

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015. Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019, while others are no longer eligible for REAP benefits.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill®, in many ways has replaced REAP because it also provides educational assistance benefits for Reserve and National Guard members called to active duty after September 10, 2001, and in many cases provides a greater benefit than REAP. For specific information, visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/. Click on ‘Education and Training’.

REAP Eligibility Credited Toward Post-9/11 GI Bill® Program

Members of the Reserve who established eligibility for educational assistance under the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) before November 25, 2015, and lost it due to the sunset provision may elect to have that service credited towards the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program.

Chapter 31

Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities. If it is determined that you are classified as a Service-Disabled Veteran, you may be eligible to receive assistance with the cost of tuition, fees, books, equipment and supplies at an approved college or university. For specific information, please visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp.

Chapter 32 (VEAP)

The Veteran’s Administration provides financial assistance for Post-Vietnam era veterans through the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP). To be eligible, veterans must have entered active duty on or after January 1, 1977, and before July 1, 1985, and have contributed to the educational fund before April 1, 1987.

Chapter 35

Dependents Educational Assistance is for eligible children and spouses of veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability. For specific information, visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/. Click on ‘Education and Training’.

Carl Sandburg College Standards for Veterans’ Satisfactory Progress

Carl Sandburg College students who are receiving federal educational benefits through the Veteran’s Administration (VA) must make Satisfactory Progress in order to continue receiving benefits. This applies to Illinois Veteran’s Grant (IVG), National Guard (NG), Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607 benefits.

VA Satisfactory Progress requires the student to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater. Students who fall below a 2.0 GPA will be placed on Warning. Students on Warning will have one semester to raise their cumulative GPA so that it satisfies the requirement. Students who do not satisfy the cumulative GPA after the warning period will be placed on Carl Sandburg College VA Dismissal and will no longer qualify for VA educational benefits.

Students will go back to satisfactory status when their cumulative GPA rises to a 2.0 or above. Students placed on Carl Sandburg College VA Dismissal may file a written appeal to reinstate their benefits for an additional semester. Appeals are to be completed by the student and returned to the Coordinator of Veterans & Military Personnel Student Services in the Financial Aid Office. Appeals will be reviewed by the Veterans satisfactory progress committee within 30 calendar days. Students are encouraged to file their appeals early to avoid disruption in benefits.

VA Pending Payment Compliance

Beginning August 1, 2019 and despite any policy to the contrary, Carl Sandburg College will not take any of the four following actions toward any student using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while their payment from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs is pending to the educational institution:

  • Prevent their enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require they secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies (see our VA School Certifying Official for all requirements).