Jun 07, 2023
The Basic Welding Certificate is designed to provide students with opportunities to acquire knowledge and develop technical skills needed to progress in the welding industry as an entry-level welder in local industry with a focus on Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW). This basic certificate emphasizes welding skill proficiency through lab activities and projects as learning activities.
Basic Welding Certificate Program Goals
- Develop skills using hand and power tools used in industry
- Develop the ability to read and follow welding blueprints and related technical manuals to fabricate welding projects
- Understand the practical application of mathematical computations used in the welding industry
- Develop an awareness of the responsibility and need for safe procedures that must be followed in the lab and/or work environment
- Demonstrate torch cutting with gas applications and plasma cutting
- Demonstrate GMAW, Pulsed Spray/Spray and FCAW
- Obtain OSHA 10 safety certification
Admission to the Program: Open
- Complete an application for admission and, if desired, apply for financial aid.
- Send an official high school transcript or GED score report to the Admissions and Records Office.
- Complete the placement exam.
- Meet with an advisor/counselor to select classes and complete the registration process.
Department of Career & Technical Education
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd.
Galesburg, IL 61401
For Additional Information Contact:
The Welcome Center
For Graduation Requirements:
See the graduation policies and procedures page for details
Total Semester Hours: 16
Students enrolled in the Basic Welding Certificate must complete all WEL and MFG courses with a grade of “C” or better to graduate.
Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
Dean of Career & Technical Education
The Center for Manufacturing Excellence (CME) offers classroom space, a computer lab, and houses Carl Sandburg College’s welding program. The College’s weld lab offers 26 bay stations. The welding area offers two welding simulators, as well as state of the art multi process welding machines.