Medical Office Assistants perform routine clerical and organizational tasks. They organize files, draft messages, schedule appointments, and support other staff. Carl Sandburg College offers a certificate program designed to prepare students with the skills needed for medical office work, including electronic health records, document processing, medical terminology, customer service, and communication skills.
This certificate is stackable, meaning the Medical Office Professional AAS can be can be completed in just two additional semesters.
Medical Office Assistant Certificate Program Goals
Upon completion of this certificate the program completer will be able to:
- Be prepared for career opportunities within a medical office,
- Understand medical terms from roots, combining forms, prefixes and suffixes,
- Utilize skills in using software to record health records in a medical office, and
- Transcribe medical document using transcription equipment and computers.
Most medical office assistants work in comfortable office settings. Virtual assistants typically work from a home office.
Graduates are qualified for office positions in a clinic or hospital, for positions as assistants in a medical office or medical billing/insurance assistants.
Admission to the Program: Open
- Complete an application for admission and, if desired, apply for financial aid.
- Send an official high school transcript or GED score report to the Admissions and Records Office.
- Complete the placement exam.
- Meet with an advisor/counselor to select classes and complete the registration process.
Department of Career & Technical Education
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd.
Galesburg, IL 61401
For Additional Information Contact:
The Welcome Center
For Graduation Requirements:
See the graduation policies and procedures page for details .