A student completing this curriculum will be eligible for employment with various criminal justice agencies. Certain private positions, such as business, industrial, and institutional security guards, may also be available. A student with a felony conviction will be admitted to the program but may experience difficulty in securing employment in some criminal justice agencies.
Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
Carl Sandburg College offers students the opportunity to prepare for a wide array of careers in public service including law enforcement officers, correctional staff, and private security positions. Both the public and private sector careers are readily available in many locations and include high incomes.
Students have an opportunity to make the criminal justice program work with their schedule. The courses are offered in the day and evening on a scheduled semester outline. Students are exposed to a rich curriculum that allows for a solid foundation in all aspects of the criminal justice system.
- Day and evening classes; online offerings
- Small class sizes allowing for individual attention
- Quality education at an affordable price
- Range of programs to meet the students needs
- Graduates are prepared for the workforce and can make their degrees and certificates work for them
- Continuing education available to those in the field
The Future of Public Safety, Corrections, and Security
Employers are seeking entry level applicants with an education associated with an Associate degree or higher. Agencies are seeking applicants with strong communication, writing, and leadership qualities. Applicants will need to pass several pre-hiring testing requirements which vary from agency to agency. Applicants need to be in good health, pass fitness standards and have a clear criminal background for consideration.
Admission to the Program: Open
- Complete an application for admission and, if desired, apply for financial aid.
- Send an official high school transcript or GED score report to the Admissions and Records Office.
- Complete the placement exam.
- Meet with an advisor/counselor to select classes and complete the registration process.
Department of Social & Business Sciences
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd.
Galesburg, IL 61401
For Additional Information Contact:
The Welcome Center
For Graduation Requirements:
See the graduation policies and procedures page for details .