This certificate provides students with entry-level skills for a profession in network security. Managing network security includes preserving information confidentiality, availability, and integrity. Network security professionals are tasked with performing network risk assessment, implementing safeguards that protect data and system integrity, implementing and maintaining system authentication systems, and perimeter protection systems. This program prepares graduates to become employed as network security technicians, network firewall technicians, VPN administrators, and remote security communication support specialists. This certificate prepares students to take the CompTIA Security+ certification exams.
Network Security Certificate Program Goals
- Work with the help desk and other technicians to respond to IT support needs.
- Setup and configure a network and devices.
- Troubleshoot network components, devices, identify and resolve any hardware or network performance problems.
- Prepare and present technical documentation.
- Complete an application for admission and, if desired, apply for financial aid.
- Send an official high school transcript or GED score report to the Admissions and Records Office.
- Complete the placement exam.
- Meet with an advisor/counselor to select classes and complete the registration process.
Information and Communication Technology Course Completion Requirement
For credit toward degree requirements, all ICT courses must have been completed during the five school years preceding conference of the degree or must have the approval of the Dean of Career and Technical Education Programs or Program Coordinator.
*NOTE: Network Security Certificate conferred upon successful completion of the required 44 hours contained in the first, second, and third semesters of this program.
Department of Career & Technical Education
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd.
Galesburg, IL 61401
For Additional Information Contact:
The Welcome Center
For Graduation Requirements:
See the graduation policies and procedures page for details .